Skip to main content

Verses



           Much to the pleasure of the children my family devotional arrived recently and this week we have started our weekly family bible study.  Growing up, my Mom lead a family bible study a few times a week when we were young. Though as we got older, we phased out of "family" bible studies and became more involved with church group bible studies, I feel like that planting of the seed at home both opened up the doors for deeper family discussions later in life and encouraged a special closeness in my family. I hope to do the same for the mini Brandts. I did a bit of research and selected the Josh McDowell devotional. It's a 365 devotional, but we're just starting from the beginning and going forward. Some of the messages are a bit too "pre teen" for the kiddos but for the most part, they seem to be spot on.


           This week, we took turns reading verses and then each read the short story. This proved to be a mistake, as though  Branditos are great readers, they are not great understanders of punctuation pauses and such. Annabelle read the story aloud first, and when we got to the QA answers at the bottom, even I was a loss to exactly what I'd just heard. Heaven wanted to reread the story a loud and Gavin was forced to. In the end, I reread it aloud so everyone could be on the same page. Lesson learned.  Next week, Me or the Hubs will read the story aloud and the mini's will all take a turn reading the Q & A questions at the bottom aloud as well as the verses.


       Our lesson this week was from Joshua and had to do with making choices that please God even if they don't line up with the choices you'd like to make and not making choices just because of the choices someone else makes. Our verse for the week is a shortened version of Joshua 24:15. We will be reciting it before dessert nightly. I'm hoping reciting them nightly will help them to "stick" and hopefully by the end of the week they will be able to recite it totally from memory.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Genius.

We still owe Annabelle 2 more AR trips so yesterday I thought I'd escape the "hurricane" madness of Pensacola and cross one off our list. We decided to give Auntie Jenny a visit in her new apartment in Mobile (AU Pharmacy Program...GO JEN!) and let her show us around for a while. We drove around campus for a bit and grabbed lunch at Hero's, which is close to her apartment. It has a very "college" feel to it, and Annabelle felt very "cool" to be out with the ladies. After lunch we headed over to the Explorium to waste away the rest of the afternoon. I love the Explorium, because they change their main exhibits our pretty regularly, so no 2 times are ever the same. Plus, it actually attempts to help the kids LEARN something while they're playing....vs just running around like mad heathens.  Annabelle really liked the kid science area & the "matter" exhibit they have. Especially the soap bubble cloud maker. The poor worker re...

Fish Tale

After feeding and watering the dogs for 6 weeks, Annabelle earned herself a fish today! After much debate at Petsmart, she decided on a pink "dragon scaled" beta & a mermaid themed tank. She has named him Poseidon (we're a bit into Percy Jackson right now...for better or worse) though I personally pushed for King Tritian (I mean HELLO it's a mermaid tank!!). She could not wait to get home and get it all set up. Because we (I) underestimated how big the tank we selected is, we set it up in the girls room...as there is no where else to put it. He has lots, and lots of pink decorations...so hopefully he's not too much of a manly man fish.

Carolers

The girls Brownie troop went Christmas Caroling this weekend at University Pines Retirement Community. They were absolutely precious. Words cannot express the cuteness overload. Several local troops were there and they sang for about half an hour. The girls have been practicing their songs for weeks, and they did spectacularly. The adorable retiree's gave them rave reviews and they were stopped by several people asking them to come back next year.  Could they be any cuter? When we got home, we thought it only seemed fair to get the dogs in the spirit too..... Kingsley the Great Bayleigh the Princess