Skip to main content

A Fish Tale

The catches!
     My bestie's birthday is at the end of May & John's is at the begining. What better way to celebrate getting older, than a Salt Water Fishing trip? We started this tradition last year, and it was even better this go round (not throwing up the whole trip really does a lot to pump up the enjoyment level). My 2 favorites + friends, open ocean, & the option to come home with a cooler of fresh fish...sounds like WINNING to me.


Big Catch # 1

      We didn't bring home as MANY fish this year, but I caught my 2 biggest fish ever!! It started out as a frustrating situation as since we were on a charter the majority of the people on board were strangers. A group who obviously knew the crew of the boat brought their own gear and bait to fish for Amberjack. The problem with that is that Amberjack are famous for weaving...and when you've got a billion lines in the water...weaving creates a major problem. The unsuspecting Amberjack must have gotten board with the bait brought on board and decided my squid looked more tasty. I hooked the first Amberjack and got him on board (well John did as my reel wasn't the best and needed muscle) with little to no issue. Unfortunately, he was 2 inches too small to keep.  The keeper was caught a short while later, however while I had him hooked, someone else hooked a shark on the other side of the boat...this created a mass chaos that resulted in about 30 minutes of confusion and no fishing for everyone on board...but in the end left us with big catch #2!



Big Catch number 2


Team Diamond


My 2 Favorites!

Me & Shell!
          We finished the evening by hosting a fish fry for the fishing team & a few others. John did 90% of the work ( me + grease is just a catastrophe waiting to happen). We fried up our white fish catches and grilled the Amberjack. We only prepared about 1/2 of the total catch, but there was plenty to go around & we even had a bit leftover! I'm debating just quiting my day job to become a professional fish slayer. John siad I should probably think on it a few days before I make any big decisions though...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Genius.

We still owe Annabelle 2 more AR trips so yesterday I thought I'd escape the "hurricane" madness of Pensacola and cross one off our list. We decided to give Auntie Jenny a visit in her new apartment in Mobile (AU Pharmacy Program...GO JEN!) and let her show us around for a while. We drove around campus for a bit and grabbed lunch at Hero's, which is close to her apartment. It has a very "college" feel to it, and Annabelle felt very "cool" to be out with the ladies. After lunch we headed over to the Explorium to waste away the rest of the afternoon. I love the Explorium, because they change their main exhibits our pretty regularly, so no 2 times are ever the same. Plus, it actually attempts to help the kids LEARN something while they're playing....vs just running around like mad heathens.  Annabelle really liked the kid science area & the "matter" exhibit they have. Especially the soap bubble cloud maker. The poor worker re...

Fish Tale

After feeding and watering the dogs for 6 weeks, Annabelle earned herself a fish today! After much debate at Petsmart, she decided on a pink "dragon scaled" beta & a mermaid themed tank. She has named him Poseidon (we're a bit into Percy Jackson right now...for better or worse) though I personally pushed for King Tritian (I mean HELLO it's a mermaid tank!!). She could not wait to get home and get it all set up. Because we (I) underestimated how big the tank we selected is, we set it up in the girls room...as there is no where else to put it. He has lots, and lots of pink decorations...so hopefully he's not too much of a manly man fish.

Carolers

The girls Brownie troop went Christmas Caroling this weekend at University Pines Retirement Community. They were absolutely precious. Words cannot express the cuteness overload. Several local troops were there and they sang for about half an hour. The girls have been practicing their songs for weeks, and they did spectacularly. The adorable retiree's gave them rave reviews and they were stopped by several people asking them to come back next year.  Could they be any cuter? When we got home, we thought it only seemed fair to get the dogs in the spirit too..... Kingsley the Great Bayleigh the Princess