Skip to main content

Crab Shack'n

Pensacola 06/10/12-PNJ Photo

I wasn't aware that we were expecting a Monsoon of rain this weekend...but apparently I was misinformed. Friday night, we made an unplanned trip back over to Destin. Jessica & Danny had decided not to stay, thus leaving the last night at the condo free. Gavin decided he didn't wish to go so me, the girls & John headed over for one last night. We knew Saturday was supposed to be rainy, so we'd planned to take the girls to see a movie or maybe do some shopping at the outlets to pass the time. Seemed like a pretty good plan to me.

By the time we arrived in Destin on Friday, the tourist were already in full swing leaving every restaurant with a pretty terrible wait. In cases such as this, when children & waiting are involved... entertainment value of a restaurant beats possible quality of food every time. We decided on Joe's Crab Shack because there is a huge playground outside. Huge playground + loads of loud unruly children = paradise for our girls and thus acceptance by parental units. Though we waited about 45 minutes to be seated (not that bad in Destin terms) Joe's turned out to be SUCH a fun restaurant.  Every 20 minutes or so the already loud music was pumped a bit with some sort of "wedding style" dance number. They staff did YMCA, Cupid Shuffle, Macarena & a few others while we were there. Of course they encourage everyone to join in...me & my tiny dancer Annabelle, could not resist.


The food was also pretty fantastic. Being a "crab shack" me & John of course went with the crab. Up side, it was some of the best crab I've ever had. Down side...they pretty much force you to wear a bib. I mean...they like actually put it on for you....Heaven thought it was especially hilarious.



After dinner we took the girls for Dippin Dots (Annabelle had NEVER had them before!!!!) since we don't have one in Pensacola. Every time I eat Dippin Dots I'm amazed by them....I mean, HOW do they stay so frozen!! 





Once we'd had our fill, we picked up a Redbox movie and headed back to the condo to relax and head to bed. Again, at this point it was a bit overcast, and we'd had a few sprinkles, but nothing major.  By the time we were up and moving Saturday morning I'd received several calls and a few texts warning us to be careful on our way back due to the rain Pensacola was receiving. It was by no means a beautiful day in Destin, but it wasn't raining or anything so we ignored the warnings and had ourselves a leisurely late breakfast and meandered around Destin until noon or so. We made it almost all the way back with relatively no rain....and then the floodgates opened! It rained the rest of the day Saturday and almost all day Sunday. We received an obscene amount of rain, I think the final totals were between 10 and 20 inches.  A majority of downtown was flooded & several roads were impassable.
This makes me laugh every time I see it. A local got crafty with photoshop.

Needless we did not venture far from home. We did take the kids to The Ridge to see Madagascar 3 however, which was a hit, but other that that we spent the rest of the weekend relaxing at home, and catching some much needed rest!
The girls ready to watch Madagascar

Sleep Heads


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Genius.

We still owe Annabelle 2 more AR trips so yesterday I thought I'd escape the "hurricane" madness of Pensacola and cross one off our list. We decided to give Auntie Jenny a visit in her new apartment in Mobile (AU Pharmacy Program...GO JEN!) and let her show us around for a while. We drove around campus for a bit and grabbed lunch at Hero's, which is close to her apartment. It has a very "college" feel to it, and Annabelle felt very "cool" to be out with the ladies. After lunch we headed over to the Explorium to waste away the rest of the afternoon. I love the Explorium, because they change their main exhibits our pretty regularly, so no 2 times are ever the same. Plus, it actually attempts to help the kids LEARN something while they're playing....vs just running around like mad heathens.  Annabelle really liked the kid science area & the "matter" exhibit they have. Especially the soap bubble cloud maker. The poor worker re...

Fish Tale

After feeding and watering the dogs for 6 weeks, Annabelle earned herself a fish today! After much debate at Petsmart, she decided on a pink "dragon scaled" beta & a mermaid themed tank. She has named him Poseidon (we're a bit into Percy Jackson right now...for better or worse) though I personally pushed for King Tritian (I mean HELLO it's a mermaid tank!!). She could not wait to get home and get it all set up. Because we (I) underestimated how big the tank we selected is, we set it up in the girls room...as there is no where else to put it. He has lots, and lots of pink decorations...so hopefully he's not too much of a manly man fish.

Carolers

The girls Brownie troop went Christmas Caroling this weekend at University Pines Retirement Community. They were absolutely precious. Words cannot express the cuteness overload. Several local troops were there and they sang for about half an hour. The girls have been practicing their songs for weeks, and they did spectacularly. The adorable retiree's gave them rave reviews and they were stopped by several people asking them to come back next year.  Could they be any cuter? When we got home, we thought it only seemed fair to get the dogs in the spirit too..... Kingsley the Great Bayleigh the Princess