Skip to main content

The ATL- Day 2







 What do Maypoles, elf ears, Princesses, pets in costume, jousting competitions, falcons & Girl Scout badges have in common? They were all part of our second day in Atlanta.

My lovely Mother & Step Dad helped me plan a surprise for the Lady Brandt's on day 2. They were heading up to South Carolina and brought the one and only Ava Relli with them so she could join us for our Saturday adventure. Ava loved making a big show of jumping out to surprise the girls & they were equally glad to see her. Once we retrieved our special guests, we headed to the Georgia Renaissance Festival for the day. I'll be honest, I had SUPER low expectations for this shindig, but it turned out to be a really fun day!

The Ga Ren Fest is semi permanent running from April thru early June. The buildings and shops are all designed to look very "Renaissancey" and from the moment you walk in the doors, the workers are in full time period character.  I would describe the "character" commitment level to that of Disney workers. It was that serious. We rented the girls each a Princess costume of their choosing, and they were curtseyed to and address as "ladies" for the rest of the day which thrilled them to no end.  I wasn't down for wearing a costume worn by an unknown number of adults, but I did agree to some Elf ears. The girls were NOT impressed at all & suggested me removing them immediately. With this knowledge, I of course wore them for the remainder of the day.

Note the elf ears

Lady Heaven



Annabelle waived to her townspeople the WHOLE ride




All of the exhibits and rides are things that *could* have existed in the Renaissance period. All of the rides were man or animal powered, which I thought was pretty neat. I think the girls favorite however was they maypole led by the "fairies" .



The girls and the "Fairy Queen" 





We also attended several shows including a "fire whip" show (in which Annabelle was chosen as a volunteer), a magic show (which all 3 of the girls were chosen as volunteers), a pet costume contest, and a Birds of Prey show that the girls earned a Girl Scout badge for attending.


This dog looked miserable. The whole time.

1st prize winner


Captured by the magician


Showing off their badges

Annabelle and the Fire Whip Guy. The Fire Whip Guy weirded me out most of all I think....I mean, you have to practice for YEARS to get that good with a whip. Who decides to devote years to whip training?? This guy apparently.
 The girls also went thru official Princess training. The "Queen" gave different lessons in various Princess type thing like curtsying and evaluated each girl before graduating them as official Princesses. They received graduation certificates and everything.







We ended up staying at the Festival until closing time & finished the day with a little souvenir shopping & jousting. Yes, jousting.

The girls and their magic animals (their magnetic and move via a clear tube that when cleverly hidden makes it appear they're moving on their own.)

My mama's so purdy


Marko was attacked by a stranger. No really. 



Heaven's souvenir of choice was this umbrella.... 

They all needed Princess hats, Obvs

Papa & his girls

Yup, still wear'n Elf ears. I have no idea what Ava's doing in this one.


I was thinking that after the long day we'd had, I was thinking the girls would pass out in no time. This was not the case.

The glasses are back.

Not the bed time scene I was hoping for

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Genius.

We still owe Annabelle 2 more AR trips so yesterday I thought I'd escape the "hurricane" madness of Pensacola and cross one off our list. We decided to give Auntie Jenny a visit in her new apartment in Mobile (AU Pharmacy Program...GO JEN!) and let her show us around for a while. We drove around campus for a bit and grabbed lunch at Hero's, which is close to her apartment. It has a very "college" feel to it, and Annabelle felt very "cool" to be out with the ladies. After lunch we headed over to the Explorium to waste away the rest of the afternoon. I love the Explorium, because they change their main exhibits our pretty regularly, so no 2 times are ever the same. Plus, it actually attempts to help the kids LEARN something while they're playing....vs just running around like mad heathens.  Annabelle really liked the kid science area & the "matter" exhibit they have. Especially the soap bubble cloud maker. The poor worker re...

Fish Tale

After feeding and watering the dogs for 6 weeks, Annabelle earned herself a fish today! After much debate at Petsmart, she decided on a pink "dragon scaled" beta & a mermaid themed tank. She has named him Poseidon (we're a bit into Percy Jackson right now...for better or worse) though I personally pushed for King Tritian (I mean HELLO it's a mermaid tank!!). She could not wait to get home and get it all set up. Because we (I) underestimated how big the tank we selected is, we set it up in the girls room...as there is no where else to put it. He has lots, and lots of pink decorations...so hopefully he's not too much of a manly man fish.

Carolers

The girls Brownie troop went Christmas Caroling this weekend at University Pines Retirement Community. They were absolutely precious. Words cannot express the cuteness overload. Several local troops were there and they sang for about half an hour. The girls have been practicing their songs for weeks, and they did spectacularly. The adorable retiree's gave them rave reviews and they were stopped by several people asking them to come back next year.  Could they be any cuter? When we got home, we thought it only seemed fair to get the dogs in the spirit too..... Kingsley the Great Bayleigh the Princess